Saturday, November 28, 2015

It's Your Business!


Wyatt and I were practicing our selfie game the other night.  I was trying to teach him the art of making silly face for a selfie, but he went for the serious-handsome pose.  But I decided it was a good one for this post because you guys!  Christmas is in less than four weeks!!!  How is this possible?!  

We didn't do any Black Friday shopping.  Matt went out yesterday morning to get decor with the kids, but came home empty-handed.  But you know what?  I'm glad.  I'm trying to buy less this year, and to be very deliberate about what I do purchase and keep.  Small Business Saturday is definitely more of my jam; I'm trying to support smaller business whenever possible.  

So with that in mind, I've put together a list of some of the places I'll be shopping, and where I'm hoping Santa does some shopping for me.  There are too many links here to post all the images, but please do click on them to check them out.

-- All the Pretty Letters. This is my friend Jamie's calligraphy business.  She is one of those insanely talented people.  She sings and plays the piano beautifully, writes poignant and funny blog posts, AND she has pretty handwriting.  Not only that, I got her Christmas card yesterday, with beautiful writing even on the address.  (Okay, Jamie, enough with the overachieving).  But seriously, check out her Etsy shop.  I love it all, but some of my faves are this anchor piece, and this Christmasy one.

-- Amber's Whimsy is my friend Amber's handmade jewelry shop.  She made some gorgeous pieces that Matt designed with her.  She's just brilliant at taking something you suggest and turning it into a work of wearable art.  Plus, she is just another awesome person.  She suffers from chronic illness and pain, but if you saw her sweet, smiling face, you'd never know it.  The more I know her, the more I love her.  And her jewelry... well, I love it all, but some pieces you must check out here are this necklace, these earrings, and this bracelet... or this one!  UPDATE! She's offering 20% off with code SMALLBUSINESS20.

-- Happy Hives Creations is the shop where my sister-in-law Erica sells her super fun, whimsical art.  Inspiring, fun, eclectic -- all words I would use to describe her pieces.  And also her.  Another "to know her is to love her" person, even if you're not related.  You've got to check it out!  My favorites are this one (of course - ha!) and this.  Skyler has a a Paris theme in her room, and she pilfered this one from downstairs to put up. 

--The Wild Hare is my friend Katie's children clothes' store.  Such cute stuff -- this hat, dress, etc.

-- I don't know her personally except through our Instagram friendship (and I think that counts!), but I love the work of Heart Comma Jenna, like her personalized family tree. *heart eyes*. She is offering 15% off with the code SMALLBIZSATURDAY.  The same is true for Kate Lewis.  Her art is just gorgeous.  

On less personal notes, because I don't know the business owners:

-- Cinnamon Sticks is an Etsy shop where my husband got me one of my favorite necklaces.  I don't see it here any more, but I love this bracelet and this gorgeous ring or in gold, or  these stackable rings.  Also, this starfish necklace is calling to me.

-- Island Betty sells some Hawaii-inspired jewelry I love, like this puka shell and heart bracelet. She is offering 20% off with the code MAHALO. 

I'm not sure what the cut-off is between you "small business" and "not small", but these aren't what I'd call "big business" either.  Rather, they are a few companies that are definitely worth mentioning here because they support ethical/ fair trade manufacturing, which is really important to me and my husband. 

-- First, I have two Karina dresses, and I love them both.  (This "Audrey" and a "Megan" that has maybe been discontinued because I don't see it any more.)  What a cool idea, to make dresses to suit every body.  They are pricey, at least in my opinion, but worth it.  Mine were both gifts (birthday and anniversary), but bought when I knew they had a discount going and told someone -- okay Matt -- about the discount code.  Today the entire site is 30% off with the code BLACKFRIDAY. I don't buy a lot of new clothes now, so saving up for one of these made in America beauties seems doable, at least when they're on sale.  Plus, you get points with every purchase that help make future purchases cost less. 

--And Better Life Bags.  Such a cool idea, to give jobs to women in Detroit who otherwise wouldn't be able to work.  They are not cheap, but I want one of these.  

-- Also, The Shine Project, that employs inner-city youth and puts them through college.  I love this necklace and these bracelets

-- Wildly Co is a children's clothing company that is ethically made in America.  Love their stuff. It's not just cute, it's smart -- clothing that grows with your kid and isn't (necessarily) for just one gender, so hand-me-downs, which I'm also a huge fan of, can go from brother to sister, or vice-versa.  They are offering 25% off this weekend plus free shipping.

Anyway, there are so many more places I want to and should put on here.  But if I'm going to post this, it needs to happen now.  If you have a small business, please feel free to share in the comments!  Happy Christmas shopping at stores you can feel really good about! :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and make my day! Leave a (respectful) comment!