Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Party of Seven

Wow, it's been four weeks already since Annalee's arrival!  I've been soaking up all the sweetness that she is  and feeding her lots.  She had her 4-week weight check and is over 11 pounds already!

Anyway.  Back to business. Within about twenty minutes of me giving birth to Annalee, Matt headed out to get Lilly and Wyatt from my friend's house, so that they could see her on her actual birth day.

Last summer Lilly had asked me if she could pray for me to have another baby.  I'd told her sure, but told her that sometimes prayers get answered in ways we don't expect.  So when I told her I was pregnant a few months later, she started laughing and crying and kept saying, "Really?  REALLY?!"  She was so excited!  Seeing the look on her face as she walked into the room was precious.  I kind of start to cry every time I look at these pictures.



It's safe to say Lilly is completely in love with her!


We were a little worried about how Wyatt would do with her.  Every day during the second half of my pregnancy, he asked if it was a baby brother or baby sister in my tummy.  I would tell him it was still a sister, and he'd say, "No!  It's a brother!"  There were even a couple times where he told me, "There's a baby in my tummy, and it's a brother!" But the night she was born, he walked in, looked at her, smiled, and without hesitating, kissed her cheek.  A little while later, Annalee started crying, and he played peekaboo with her.

He also told us a few days later, "I like the baby sister.  Her face is like --" and puffed out his cheeks.  Pretty true.

Another funny thing: when we got home and he saw Annalee's cord stump, he asked, "Why does she have a feeshy in her belly button?" At first, I went, Huh? A fishy?  But looking at it, I totally got what he thought and couldn't help but laugh a little every time I saw it.

Now, I'm not saying he's been a perfect angel.  Au contraire, mes amis.  Matt and I have had to deal with quite a bit of his acting up, unfortunately (which is par for the course, I think, even with his sisters).  And I've had to say more times than I'd like, "We touch baby sister with our fingers, not our knuckles," or, "No noogies on her head!"  But he has been really so loving toward her, I'm kind of impressed. 


Jayna and Skyler, as you know from reading my previous posts, attended the birth.  I was really proud of both of them.  They had wanted so badly to be there that they read everything they could on childbirth -- including how to deliver a baby, according to this book!  Glad it didn't come to that!  They also watched dozens of Youtube videos.  


Jayna said that when I got back in the bed and things were getting crazy, she almost had to step out because she couldn't take seeing me in pain like that.  And her description of the actual birth was funny -- she said she felt just like the saucer eyes emoji.  But she stuck it out, and once Annalee's head was visible, she was just completely amazed.


Skyler has been talking about being a nurse or even a midwife.  She went to some of my prenatal check-ups with me.  None of the birth process phased her at all.  In fact, Susaanah was going to let her help deliverAnnalee, until the cord came out first. I asked her what she thought, did she still want to be a nurse or midwife?  She said, "Mom.  I felt like I was made for this."  It would be hard to disagree.



I had to spend 48 hours after the birth in the hospital, since I didn't get the second dose of antibiotics. But the care was amazing (even if the food wasn't.  I got spoiled by the hospital where I had Wyatt).  I was really impressed.  We finally got home, and it's been so good and fun to be a family of seven.  

People ask me if I always wanted a big family (because I guess when you have five kids, you're officially "big".) I don't know.  For a while, I think I just figured only crazy people had big families.  Then around Lilly's birth, I started thinking there was something to that whole "the more the merrier" saying.  But when I think back to my childhood, I would answer that question as, "Of course!"  I always liked the stories with a bunch of kids.  There's definitely a level of chaos and craziness -- not to mention noise and mess -- that increases with more kids.  But when I'm waking up and there are five faces on the bed, talking to me seriously about something, teasing, begging for breakfast, or just sleeping sweetly, it really does feel... well, kind of like a party.  

And I kind of love it.  

4 comments:

  1. Melissa MorrisonJune 24, 2015 at 5:05 AM

    New baby bliss, such a wonderful time!
    my Lilly(ann) also prays for babies, she has prayed for the last two and she has been so thrilled each time!
    it is so wonderful to see how the family dynamic changes when a new baby is brought home, then you look back and you could never see it another way.
    I feel like if we knew each other in "real" life we would make prefect friends ;). I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm so honored by this compliment, and I agree! I think we'd be great friends too! And it sounds like our kids would get along as well! Hopefully someday we can meet in person! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the youngest of 5 children, born in a span of 7 years. I often told my parents that of all the gifts they ever gave me, my siblings were the best! My mom said once that she thought that raising 5 kids could make a person insane or a saint, and she figured she was some of both! It is a great way to grow up, and It definitely felt like a party every time we were all together-- and it still does!

    Love this and I am sending it to my siblings today.

    People ask me if I always wanted a big family (because I guess when you
    have five kids, you're officially "big".) I don't know. For a while, I
    think I just figured only crazy people had big families. Then around
    Lilly's birth, I started thinking there was something to that whole "the
    more the merrier" saying. But when I think back to my childhood, I
    would answer that question as, "Of course!" I always liked the stories
    with a bunch of kids. There's definitely a level of chaos and craziness
    -- not to mention noise and mess -- that increases with more kids. But
    when I'm waking up and there are five faces on the bed, talking to me
    seriously about something, teasing, begging for breakfast, or just
    sleeping sweetly, it really does feel... well, kind of like a party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yay!! I love that you loved growing up in a big family! That makes me so happy! Also, I totally agree with your mom. By the time all the kids are out, I will definitely be a little crazy... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and make my day! Leave a (respectful) comment!