Monday, April 6, 2015

A Happy Easter Weekend

Whew!  It's been a whirlwind weekend. I almost think the busy week scheduled will be more mellow!

I know Thursday doesn't really as the weekend, but Wyatt got his first real dude hair cut. After a completely disastrous attempt to cut his hair last week (even though I've been doing his haircuts until now), Matt and I agreed it was time for the pros to step in.  I took him to the same woman who does Matt's hair.  He looks great -- but so much older!  Aaahhhh!!


No less adorable though!

Maybe even more so? Oh my heart!

Anyway, once the weekend started, it just seemed to be one thing after another.  We had a neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt and brunch.  I'd heard about the Egg Hunt since before I moved into this house, and it was truly epic.  Eggs everywhere! (so maybe more of a race than a hunt?)




From there we went to Skyler's first volleyball game.  She's been doing dance most of her life, and this was her first time playing a team sport.  (Although, disclaimer, she did do gymnastics/ tumbling, tennis, and sailing as well.). Lately she has felt ready to try something new, so when the opportunity came up to play volleyball, she went for it.  Her team didn't win, but she scored some of the points they did get.  And you know what?  I'm just so proud of her for going for it.  Dance has been one of the few constants in her life, and even though it didn't feel like a great fit any more, it was a safe place that she understood.  Saturday's game was a big step -- for all of us!



That night, Matt and I went out to dinner in Kailua.  (Kailua has most of the best eats on the island, in my opinion.). We went to Uahi Grill, which has been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, though I first found out about it just a few weeks ago when I was looking up a good place for Matt's birthday dinner.  I LOVE it.



The first time we went, he got the Big Island Steak (he doesn't often eat steak, but it was his birthday and a milestone birthday at that), while I got the grilled fish with the Mac-Nut Pesto.  This time, I got the Furikake Grilled Tofu with mashed potatoes and he had the Seared Ahi Salad.  We split a guava cheesecake.  It was so wonderful.

What I love about the restaurant is that it's a very relaxed atmosphere, and it wouldn't be uncomfortable to take kids there (though we haven't yet).  The food is fantastic yet unpretentious, and much (maybe most?) of it is local.  It's also one of the few places that seems reasonably priced -- no "special island prices."  I will say though, that it's a small space, and no outside dining.  We got there pretty early (before 6 on a Saturday night), and we were lucky to get a spot.  By the time we left, there was a 15 minute wait for a table.  

After that, it's entirely possible that we went to the newly-opened Target because that's what cool people do on dates... Right?

Anyway, today was Easter, and therefore wonderful.  We had planned to attend the sunrise service on the USS Missouri but Wyatt had a really bad dream or something -- woke up screaming like a crazy person, and it took us forever to calm him down.  So we turned off the alarms, and, well, did not wake up before sunrise.  Sigh.  

But today was marvelous.  After our own Easter Egg Hunt, which was truly a hunt, we took one of our favorite drives up to the North Shore and down through Kaneohe.  I'm bummed because I did not get any real Easter-y family pictures.  This was my only picture


from the day.  It's adorable, but I really like the family Easter pic, you know?   I'm trying to be okay with it, though, because I know that's not what Easter is about.  But still.  Such a gorgeous day (with my favorite, gorgeous people)... it seems a shame.

So that's it.  A really great weekend!  Now to get some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and make my day! Leave a (respectful) comment!